My Minted Design

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Fresh Green Beans

When I was a little girl my grandparents had a wonderful vegetable garden every year. I think of it as wonderful now, but tHeN....I didN'T. I don't remember working in the garden or even going into the garden to pick anything. What I remember is ... BreAKinG beAnS. Momma, mamaw, and Aunt Linda would be sitting on the porch with pans in laps, stringing and breaking and talking...having a good time. I guess some days they had too many beans, so the children had to help. That was me and my cousin. I don't remember if my cousin was unhappy about the situation, but I sure was.


 One summer we had so many beans to break, it cut into my playtime and I didn't like that at all. I said I would never eat green beans again.....and I didn't for years.




  Now, as an adult I love beans. I love planting them, watching them grow, and getting in the garden early to pick, then starting the process of stringing and breaking. And don't forget the shellies. For the past couple of years I haven't had a garden. I miss that summertime therapy. Thank Heavens for Farmers Markets.


Mitch loves fresh green beans. I love the smell of the freshness as I begin to break into them, stringing as I go unitl I have a handful then snap. Break into about 1 inch pieces, then wash before placing them into a pot.









There are many seasonings for fresh green beans. Today I cooked Paula Dean style...lots of butter and seasoning salt. If I have a ham hock I will add that to the pot, yumm seasons them up nicely. I have added olive oil, salt and pepper with a few new potatoes...they're really good this way too.

Perfect for a Sunday dinner. The house smells great and the reward is delicious!

In memory of my mom..Barbara, my grandmother Dona and my Aunt Linda. I hope we get to experience the good ole' days in Heaven, I can't wait to see them again.










No comments:

Post a Comment